Don’t let that nasty cold get the best of you!!
Sneezing, runny nose, and that heaviness in the head—the ‘common’ cold can cause a lot of discomfort! It may seem like a mundane nuisance when in reality it can make you feel really ill. Trusting on home remedies to cure common cold and cough is something that many Indian households still believe. Besides treating common cold and cough effectively, these home remedies are also free from any side-effects.
Below mentioned, are some of the home remedies that will help you treat common cold and cough.
1) Milk and turmeric : An essential ingredient found in almost all Indian kitchens, turmeric has a strong antioxidant which helps in treating many health problems. Drinking a glass of warm turmeric milk before sleeping helps in faster recovery from cold and cough.
2) Mixture of lemon, cinnamon and honey : Another effective home remedy for common cold is a mixture of lemon, cinnamon and honey. In half spoon of honey, add a few drop of lemon and a pinch of cinnamon. Have this syrup twice a day to cure common cold .
3) Make It Steamy!! :You can loosen up your stuffy nose if you breathe in some steam. Hold your head over a pot of boiling water and breathe slowly through your nose.You can also get some relief with a humidifier in your bedroom. Also try to take in some moisture from a hot shower with the door closed.
4) Make a Honey-Onion Syrup : This mixture is great for cold that come with a nasty cough. The honey is wonderful for healing a sore throat while the onion works its wonders through antibacterial and anti-inflammatory actions. It can also help loosen up phlegm deep in the chest.
5) Apple Cider Vinegar : ACV re-balances the pH levels of the body and makes the environment unsuitable for the virus to survive.Add the vinegar to the warm water and drink 2-3 glasses of this in the day.
6) Garlic/Ginger : Garlic can be used to expedite relief from cold. It has antimicrobial and antiviral compounds that can kill the cold-causing virus and alleviate the symptoms. Crush the garlic and ingest it along with the honey. Repeat this twice a day.
On the other hand , Ginger can be used to bring quick relief from cold symptoms by providing relief from the chills and warming up the body .It has an aroma that is soothing to your nose. Besides, ginger is also known for its potent anti-inflammatory properties. Its natural spiciness helps clear congestion in the nasal passage to an extent. Crush the ginger piece and let it soak in hot water for a few minutes. Strain the water, add honey, and mix well. Drink this freshly prepared ginger tea. Have 2-3 cups of ginger tea in a day.
While using home based remedies and natural products to get relief from cold is useful, you need to keep certain things in mind before using them. Using certain foods and herbs may not be suited for all. For example, giving honey to kids younger than one year for treating a cold is not recommended. Women who are lactating and pregnant need to be even more careful about these aspects.