Once again, there are stories coming around that the infrastructure failure had led to the death of the innocents as the flyover that collapsed in Varanasi claimed 18 lives on May 14, 2018 .Many such incident has happened in the last few years resulting in many people losing their lives ,just because of the collapse of bridges and flyovers.
1) Gill Flyover collapse due to rats : Gill flyover in Ludhiana collapsed possibly due to rats.,no casualty was reported. The Municipal official,Dharam singh in Ludhiana was quoted by PTI, “There was a dump below the flyover due to which rats inhabited the spot. It was the rats who damaged the flyover.”
2) Kolkata Mishap : On March 31, 2016, a 150 m steel span of the under construction Vivekananda flyover fell and many got trapped under it. The accident killed 14 and over 80 were left injured.As per the speculations, corruption may be the reason that might have led to the poor quality /sub-standard construction of the bridge.
A source from the civil engineering department ,IIT Kharagpur told Firstpost, “A state government official told us that the government is considering restoring the flyover and using it for one-way traffic. This is a construction which has zero strength left and would be unable to sustain the movement of ten vehicles at one time. The government appears to fear the prospect of spending another Rs 100 crores to demolish the flyover. But is it reason enough to endanger lives?”
3) The capital city, Delhi too suffered it: In 2015, a portion of Wazirabad- Janakpuri elevated corridor collapsed on to a busy road in Pitampura. As per the investigation,the straps holding the block snapped causing the corridor to fall. It left 3 cars damaged and 2 people injured.
4) Flyover fell in Surat : Themishap took place in Parle point area of Surat ,when the labourers were shifting the columns of the bridge and a portion of the flyover fell on them. Three labourers were killed and six left injured.
5) Uttarakhand Collapse : In 2012, a construction bridge collapsed at Chauraas in Pauri Garhwal, Uttarakhand.Because of this ,six labourers died and 36 others were injured.
6) Mishap in Bihar and UP : In 2009, when old bridge collapsed in Bihar ,it led to the death of six people and left 26 injured. Similarly,Five people died and 25 were injured in Lucknow in 2008 ,when an under construction bridge collapsed.
7)Hyderabad flyover fell : In 2007, at least 15 people died and 20 others were injured, in Hyderabad mishap, after a portion of the flyover which was under construction at Panjagutta, in the busy corridor connecting Begumpet to the upscale of the Banjara Hills, collapsed.